I inadvertently posted this a few days ago so I rescheduled it to post today which is the day it should’ve posted. Sorry if a lot of you have already seen it!!
It’s that time again….One Photo Focus is here! Every month Stacy gives us a photo and we edit it to come up with our own take. Below you’ll find my image as well as the original which was provided by Robin Kent, so thanks Robin to a really fun image this month! And if you have time, check out Stacy’s blog to see everyone’s submissions. Quite fun to see what everyone comes up with.
I wonder if my recent viewing of Jurassic World had anything to do with my edit lol.
1. Inserted two dinosuars…of the walking and flying sort.
2. Isolated white house and reduced the brightness of it so the image felt more balanced.
3. Colorized and added texture to image via Nik Analog filter.
4. Colorized the eye and tongue of the tyrannosaurus rex.
One Photo Focus – July
Original by Robin Kent
Thank you one again Stacy for coordinating this fun challenge.
It’s that time again….One Photo Focus is here! Thanks to Stacy for providing us a fun image! Please check out her blog when you have a chance. You’ll find some beautiful photos there!
There are a lot of Victorian houses in the Bay Area, and I’m not sure why but I always think of something foreboding or scary when I think of them. That’s what I thought of when I looked at this image so I went with it.
1. If you look at the original, you’ll see the right-hand side of the house tilted in, so I fixed that by adjusting the vertical perspective. When you do that, it usually means that the bottom of the photo gets smaller than the canvas so instead of cloning to fill in that blank area, which takes more time, I used the transform tool and just expanded the image to fill up the space.
2. Next I fixed the contrast and parts of the image I’d like darker or lighter. This was five layers isolating different things like the post, the fence, the upper right-hand part of the house plus a couple windows.
3. For the look and feel, I then applied a Nik Analog filter to give me the basic colorization and texture with a bit of grain, dirt and dust. Nothing like a bit of dirt and dust to make an image! Reminds me of my regular photos when I haven’t cleaned my sensor. 🙂
4. Instead of modifying the sky, I deleted it and created my own on a blank layer. I used the eyedropper to sample the light and darks of the image after the Analog filter application and then used a couple of handy dandy brushes, namely lightening bolt and cloud brushes which I had already in my arsenal.
5. Lastly, I added a vignette in Nik Color Efex.
Thank you one again Stacy for coordinating this challenge and for your image this month. I always look forward to this fun challenge. Please check out the entire ABFriday Challenge and also Stacy’s Post too!
It’s One Photo Focus time! I rather enjoy this challenge of taking someone’s photo and editing it into our own creation. This week the original photo was provided by Shane Francescut, so thank you Shane! Please check out Shane’s blog when you have time.
The first thing I always do is adjust the shadows, clarity and other basics one finds in Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw because I know I’m going to process the heck out of it lol. Once I have that done I try to come up with a vision for the image, and in this case I had a burning desire to make it a nighttime image (with my own twist of course). 🙂
1. After the basic adjustments mentioned above, I tone-mapped it in Nik HDR to give it a “pop”. (I think I’m addicted to tone-mapping in Nik HDR.)
2. Next, I replaced the sky with the stars using my favorite “blend if” feature in the layer styles. I cropped the photo to cut off the right hand part of the photo to eliminate the issue I was having masking in the sky in between all the branches. It was just too much to deal with trying to blend in the sky.
3. After that I applied the Nik Color Efex Sunlight filter to the image to simulate the moon’s glow.
4. Now I needed that nighttime look, so I applied one of the Nik Analog Efex filters to parts of the image by using the Brush feature in the filter. I really love the brush feature in Nik because it allows me to control where I want the filter applied and at what opacity.
5. Lastly, I added a vignette by applying neutral density gradients along the edges of the photo on a blank layer so I could control the darkened areas rather than just using one of the filter vignettes.
I will throw in a caveat here in that there were some steps along the way that are kind of boring so I won’t list all those but basically they include burning here and there, and isolating parts of the image to control hue and saturation and contrast.